10 things to know about Anna Hazare and Lok Pal Bill…..
1. Who is Anna Hazare?
An ex-army man. Fought 1965 Indo-Pak War
2. What’s so special about him?
He built a village Ralegaon Siddhi in Ahamad Nagar district, Maharashtra
3. So what?
This village is a self-sustained model village. Energy is produced in the village itself from solar power, biofuel and wind mills.
In 1975, it used to be a poverty clad village. Now it is one of the richest village in India. It has become a model for self-sustained, eco-friendly & harmonic village. Check in detail about the beauty of Anna’s works in the village
This guy, Anna Hazare was awarded Padma Bhushan and is a known figure for his social activities. Check here to find some more info
5. Really, what is he fighting for?
He is supporting a cause, the amendment of a law to curb corruption in India.
6. How that can be possible?
He is advocating for a Bil, The Lok Pal Bill (The Citizen Ombudsman Bill), that will form an autonomous authority who will make politicians (ministers), beurocrats (IAS/IPS) accountable for their deeds.
Key features of proposed bill
- A central government anti-corruption institution called “Lokpal”, supported by state institutions called “Lokayukta” will be set up
- Like the Supreme Court and the Election Commission, they will be completely independent of the governments. No minister or bureaucrat will be able to influence their investigations.
- Members will be appointed by judges, private citizens, and constitutional authorities through a transparent and participatory process.
- Investigations in each case will have to be completed in one year. Trials should be completed in the following year, meaning the total process will take place within two years.
- Any loss that a corrupt person caused to the government will be recovered at the time of conviction.
- Help to common citizen: If any work of any citizen is not done in prescribed time in any government office, Lokpal will impose financial penalty on guilty officers, which will be given as compensation to the complainant.
- Any complaint against any officer of Lokpal shall be investigated and, if found to be substantive, will result in the the officer being dismissed within two months.
- The existing anti-corruption agencies(CVC, departmental vigilance and the anti-corruption branch of CBI) will be merged into Lokpal. Lokpal will have complete powers and authority to independently investigate and prosecute any officer, judge or politician.
- The agency will also provide protection to whistleblowers who alert it of potential corruption cases.
7. It’s an entirely new thing right..?
In 1972, the bill was proposed by then Law minister Mr. Shanti Bhushan. Since then it has been neglected by the politicians and some are trying to change the bill to suit thier theft (corruption).
8. Oh.. He is going on a hunger strike for that whole thing of passing a Bill ! How can that be possible in such a short span of time?
The first thing he is asking for is: the government should come forward and announce that the bill is going to be passed.
Next, they make a joint committee to DRAFT the LOK PAL BILL. 50% goverment participation and 50% public participation. Because you cant trust the government entirely for making such a bill which does not suit them.
9. Fine, What will happen when this bill is passed?
A LokPal will be appointed at the centre. He will have an autonomous charge, say like the Election Commission of India. In each and every state, Lokayukta will be appointed. The job is to bring all alleged party to trial in case of corruptions within 1 year. Within 2 years, the guilty will be punished. Not like, Bofors scam or Bhopal Gas Tragedy case, that has been going for last 25 years without any result.
10. Is he alone? Whoelse is there in the fight with Anna Hazare?
Ex. IPS Kiran Bedi, Social Activist Swami Agnivesh, RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and many more.
Above Content Courtesy: FB forward and wikipedia
Most of the times whether its at home or work or anywhere…whether its a situation or disease or problem or anything….the things are not dealt properly ONLY because of LACK of AWARENESS…being AWARE of a situation or disease or problem is an AWESOME BEGINING towards the prevention/solution of that situation or disease or problem. Well Begun things are halfdone…..so folks don’t underestimate the power of spreading awareness. Check site of Anna Hazare where we can check his principles, works, vision for India http://www.annahazare.org/gr.html
Don’t be shy to support a genuine cause without misusing the freedom of expression and without violating any rules of the Government 🙂
PS: Don’t be carried away by several campaign links. Be careful about the links you click, the places you post and the words you choose. After all we are responsible citizens too in responsible positions.